Thursday, April 16, 2009

Easter Recap

There are a lot of pictures in this post- I guess you could say Easter was pretty fun! We had to dye eggs... princess style of course- poor Willie, everything's princess style.





We did something a little different; I've never done it before at least. We dyed empty egg shells this year. I really like how cool it looks to see the inside and outside of the egg dyed. This idea all started with Freecycle back in November or so. A spanish teacher had posted wanting a few people who could help her save their eggshells for her class. For Easter, she wanted to do a spanish tradition (which I can't remember the name of this tradition, or where it's done, or even the link that she shared about it) where people crack a confetti-filled egg over another person's head for good luck (or some reason?) for the Easter holiday. Neat, I thought and offered to save my eggshells for her, I thought it was the least I could do for the freecycle community. So for a couple months I learned how to perfectly crack egg shells just on the top, rinse them out, and save them. Then, the teacher sends me an email that she's decided not to do the activity with her class. So, what was I going to do with dozens of eggshells? Well, I didn't know exactly. But I kept on saving them and thought, maybe I'll do the activity...



I had acrued quite a lot of eggs, so I had to do something with a group. The best group to use them on was our playgroup. But, I didn't know how smashing eggs on the heads of 2 year olds would fly with the mamas. I wanted to do at least an egg hunt, so I still prepared the eggs. Our playgroup the week of Easter was a park playdate, so I thought, hmm, I can do an egg hunt outside and I'll make the eggs completely biodegradeable so we won't worry to much about clean up. Hence, the eggs filled with Fruity Pebbles, not confetti (stroke of genius if you ask me). Except, again with 2 year olds it's a little diferent story, as some of them were confused and actually bit into the egg shell to try and eat it. (yikes!) I also decided that we wouldn't encourage the kids to smash them over each other's heads, but just smash them open to find the prize. So I had prepared about 72 eggs with a little sticker inside and filled them with fruity pebbles. The park playdate was canned on account of bad weather, so we ended up having the egg hunt at the TAB and also had time to have the kids make little easter baskets to hunt with. Here's the TAB egg hunt:




That weekend, there was an egg hunt at the park next to us, hosted by the community library and a local church group. We took the kids to that and although the hunt was probably finished in under 2 minutes, it was fun.






Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Betsy B. said...

Oh how I miss Lucy. I love the princess eggs. That's wonderful!