Monday, April 6, 2009

My "Ss" Day

S is for sick... which is what my kids are today, so I hopefully will get a few posts up. Here is a sum up from preschool last week at our house.

We started with singing songs about the sun and stars.
We found out whose shoe was smallest.

Last week the kids learned about taste and touch, so this week I decided to add the other senses. We explored the 3 senses that started with s: Smell, Sight, and Sound. There's no picture with sound- we just listened to different sounds off my computer. It was generally a little difficult for the kids. If you're looking for sound effects, this is a great sound effects website, the easiest to use that I found.
Here's Lucy smelling peanut butter. We also smelled: an orange, lotion (flowery scent, I tried to get real flowers, but...), alcohol dipped cotton balls (the kids were close on this one actually!), Irish spring soap, & there was one more....

We played "I Spy" to use our sense of sight. I spy with my little eye, something that starts with the letter s...


We had a special snack...we visited Scotland to have Scottish Scones. Since the mid1800s, scones are traditionally served during tea time in Scotland. We listened to some traditional Scottish music while we ate. Along with the scones, we also had skewered strawberries.

We made seven silly sandwiches... this was quite a big project for the kids to undertake. A few had trouble making it to the end of all seven sandwiches. This is a cardstock cut out backed on cardboard (cereal boxes), then the kids glued different items into the shape of an "S": star stickers, sandpaper, sponges, seashells & sand, spaghetti, straws, and various seeds. We made it into a sandwich book.



I don't know if this will work very well, but if anyone is interested here is a template I used, hopefully you could copy and paste it:

We decided to go on a trip and sail to Scotland in a ship. We converted our papasan chair into the ship and had someone pretending to be the sailor, the sea, the storm, and the shark. It was pretty fun, we "drew sticks" to see who was what part. The sailor got to wear a cool hat.


Four funny sailors making silly faces!

No comments: