Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nature Hour

We needed (I needed;) a break from normal routine, so instead for a new adventure on Tuesday, we went to a Botanical Garden in Kaneohe. I don't know how I've missed this cool place for so long. I felt like the first time ever, that I was actually in that lush tropical island like you see in so many pictures. I was loving the landscape! Once a month, the HBG puts on a nature hour. We went a little early to doddle, and we're so excited to see ducks! It's one of the only places in Hawaii where there are ducks I think, most everything is salt water around here.


Sealing Wax Palm. I thought the red at the top was so awesome!


This goose looked pretty fiesty.I thought this was a super funny looking bird/duck thing! :)


Nature Hour featured spiders this month. The woman did a great job telling about spiders and doing tons of fun activities. The kids pretended to be net spiders, who throw "nets" onto their prey.

Throwing flies and insects into the spider's web.
Spinning a spider web by running around the cones, except the little boy had all the cones stacked up and not in a circle.

Looking at real spiders.

Jumping spider... jumps onto his prey.

Some kind of fishing net spider, who lowers a web kind of fishing line and catches his prey.

Craft time: playdough spider. I love the split pea eye balls!

No comments: