Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Warm and cozy by the fireplace sipping hot cocoa while giant snowflakes are gently falling

Sound good, don't it?! It was good, sipping hot cocoa and enjoying peppermint chocolate by our "fireplace." When we were at BYUH, some friends of ours always made up a jimmyrigged fireplace for Christmas, to protect Santa's story. Lucy doesn't quite follow all the Santa stuff yet, but it just seems like a fun tradition. So we decided to make one this year especially because we're not going to get a tree. After the kids went to bed, we started our FHE wrapping as many empty cracker and cereal boxes as we could round up. Then we stacked to Huggies boxes on top of each other to make a base. The red "bricks" are hot glued to the base, and by the next morning they were already falling off. We knew they were coming down anyway because we didn't have a way to protect them from the kids..but I'm in the process of attaching them more permanently...it's a work in progress as it takes a little work for each box. But we're sure to have a great fireplace up and running by Christmas eve!This is our Christmas tree this year. I made 8 of these little silver trees for centerpieces at our enrichment night, and I kept one. I don't know if this is a good picture, but it's a pretty cute little tree. The little tissue paper oranaments were not used at enrichment, but I added them later. These ornaments are actually pretty fun to make with your pre-schooler. You need metal lids (like from frozen concentrate juice or I used the lids of glass baby food jars), tissue paper in whatever color coordination, thread or string (I like the upholstry thread, it's strong), and glue (tacky glue or elmer's glue, clear drying). Then cut up the tissue paper in tiny squares, uneven is fine b/c it adds dimension. Glue the tissue paper squares in random pattern covering metal lid, you may want to keep the round shape for a snowball/ornament kind of effect. Overlapping is allowed and helps make it stronger; but you don't want to many layers to take away from it being a little see through like stained glass. Using about 1.5 inches thread make a large loop and glue the ends close to the top of the lid so it can hang on the tree, cover the glue dabs with some tissue paper squares. *Let dry completely, then put in freezer until cold. Ornament will peel off lid pretty easily. Dry the lid, and repeat if desired!* (*I forgot to put this part, but you need to know about the freezer part...;) If this all doesn't make sense, email me or you might just be able to google the directions. Directions for the snowflakes in the window can be found in an earlier post, 3D snowflakes. Have fun!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I LOVE your fireplace! You're so creative!