Thursday, October 30, 2008

What I learned at school today #5

Oh my, am I halloweened out! When I planned today's activity a month ago, I didn't realize I was going to be helping plan two other halloween activities as well! It's safe to say, we are all halloweened out. And Lucy hasn't even got to wear her costume yet. Anyway, I'll recap the other halloween activities on another post, but let me recap today's pre-preschool.

Activity: Scary Stories Brunch! With a panel of momsters, special guests Sis. Conrad, Sis. Okabe, & Sis. Dupont, who shared their "my scariest moment as a mom" stories with us. The kids watched a movie and made Halloween cards with fun stickers. We also had a potluck brunch.

Who came: Lana, Hereti, Marlise, Joseph, Clara, Margaret, Nia, Wesley, Kipa, Koa, Lia, Misako, Minochan, Maggie, Caden, Chelsey, Matthew, Bear, Ruth, Caira, Melinda, Aislin, Oliver, Courtney, Lucy, William.

It was hard to get the moms going today. It's hard when you have an informal group try and do a formal activity sometimes. But with this activity I had to stick to a schedule because the moms on our panel had to get going to other things. So, it felt a little awkward trying to get the moms to not do their normal socializing, or at least save it until later, and get on with the activity. I need to learn better ways of starting up an activity. The Make a Monster game was not a big hit, but overall I thought the idea of everything was way fun, I loved having the "older" moms come and visit with us. I felt like we were honoring them and their knowledge and that's important to me. They were such dears for taking the time to come be with us! And their stories were a riot and touching!
I made way too much crumb cake (I made a triple batch just in case some moms weren't able to bring anything), we're going to be sick of eating it by... um, tonight.
There was a lot of good food-- thank you to everyone who made and brought such yummy dishes to share!

As for a monster moment myself. So as I'm trying to get everything started with the activity, Willie is crying hysterically. I'm going through the checklist: doesn't want bottle, teething?, tired?, diaper is ok.....nothing...I can tell his cry is desparate though, something's hurting him I could tell. But what? Finally, I have to start the activity so I give him to Margaret who decides she's going to try and change his diaper and starts to take off his shoes. Then she sees that his big toe on his left foot, that poor big toe has been all bent backwards up in his shoe. I felt so bad! I had hurried to put on his shoe and had stuffed his toes in quick enough that it was all bent and he'd been that way for over an hour and he was dying! His toe looked sore, red and kind of separated from being bent back so long. Poor kid. He takes a beating and keeps on ticking though, that boy is some tough stuff!

1 comment:

Lana and Micah said...

Courtney, I want you to know that even though things may not have worked out exactly as planned - that playgroup was extremely memorable for me! Sometimes it's just facilitating a place where those kinds of lasting memories (and friendships) can happen, is the best thing we can do. You continue to inspire me by your creative and genuinely helpful attitude towards all of us. You're a gr8 mom and friend!!