Boot camp is coming into the home stretch. It was actually Jeremy's birthday this week. When I talked to him a few weeks ago, I asked him, So what are you doing for your birthday? He said, I'll be cold in a tent somewhere. "You can always make a mud pie and put a stick in it." He could even light that stick I'll bet. Well, it will still be a birthday to remember. He's definitely very excited to be graduating from basic training. I'm so happy for him, and proud of him! I'm excited to go to graduation also. I've never been so South Carolina and it will be a real wetting my feet experience with this whole army thing. Well, I figured since boot camp is coming to a close and I started this whole post his letters thing, I'd better finish it. I have quite a few letters that I need to put up, so sorry for the super extended post. I'm really going to miss letter writing. I think I might make Jeremy keep it up and we'll do it as a monthly tradition. I think it's quite fun trying to come up with something to send someone in writing- letters and other 'flat', fun things. Guess it fulfills my long-lost desire to work in publication. ;) I did send Jeremy a little something more than a letter for his birthday/Valentine's day. I had teased him that I was going to send his drill sergeant a Valentine with treats because everything gets confiscated. And even if Jeremy wouldn't get the treats, it would be the thought that counts. And I was going to do it in a way that would give the drill sergeants a little something 'back at them'. Well, I decided to do it. I bought a heart-shaped box of chocolates and a red monkey (chocolates and monkeys are always a part of Valentine's day in the Van Tress home, it's tradition). I attached a pretty little note that read, "Dear Drill Sergeant, My heart belongs to SPC (Specialist) Van Tress, but this Valentines for you. You probably weren't going to get anything anyways." (Or something to that effect.) A little cruel, spicy? Yes, you're right. And I almost didn't feel bad about it...until I sent the stupid thing. I was walking away from the counter at the Post Office thinking, I've just sabotaged my husband. He's going to get in trouble for my popping off. Great! He'll be the only soldier ever to be delayed from graduation due to his wife's bad behavior! I was pretty nervous for the next week, dreading the next letter I'd get back from him. Then it came. Ok, how bad was it, the damage I caused? :) Well, luckily there's seems to be no offense taken and so no worries. But I'll just publicly say that I did write it in good fun. Really. And I do appreciate all military personnel and their role in making our military the strong organization that it is.
So here are his letters, and I'll work backwards...
04FEB2010
Aloha Beautiful,
Wow! The birthday/Valentines Day package you sent was amazing! I could tell the Drill Sgt. who watched me open it felt bad that i couldn't keep the chocolates and the monkey. He also enjoyed the "Love Checks." He especially liked the 2 hours more sleep one. Seriously, your creativity and thoughtfulness in your gifts never cease to amaze me. I can't believe how much Lucy is growing up! She cut those hearts out all by herself?! Thank you for including the children in my gift; it just makes it special. As I opened it, the platoon, especially the females were "oohing" and "aahing" and saying how neat it was (not necessarily in those words...). I can't wait to use my Love checks all of them! Some may not be good here, like the rucksack and fireguard, but we all got a good laugh out of it. "Unlimited Hugs and Kisses," "3 hours Ball-time," "A Romantic Stroll," (can't wait for that one), "One Ice Cream Date," "3 course Steak Dinner." These are definitely events to look forward to with steadfastness. I can't wait.
Sweetheart, 5 years has gone by quickly. Time flies when life is bliss. Yes, we've had our own "relationship boot camp" of our own, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. You've made mistakes and I've made mistakes. The wonderful thing about us though is that each mistake, argument or disagreement has been overcome with effort, time, patience, and long-suffering. Through our persistence and long suffering, love and charity have increased our eternal commitment to each other, as evidenced by our faithfulness during my absence. If there is one thing I want you to know this Valentines Day, it's that I love you. I love you attitude and all, including all flaws and mistakes of past, present, and future. I am committed to you for eternity; not because I feel obligated, but because I want to be committed to you and only you. I'm happy that we have to opportunity to learn from each other and change for the better together. It's not always a smooth lovey-dovey process, but in the end, it's a miracle worth living. Here at BCT, I've come in contact with so many people who spin their wheels, because they are unwilling to commit to someone and change. They refuse to think of someone else before themselves. It's sad to see so much potential unrealized. Thank you for sharing your inner struggles with me. I know it's hard right now. I cannot say I know how you feel because I'm not you and I'm not home alone with 3 kids without m spouse. That is a daunting task on so many levels. I'm praying for you all with all my heart, might, and strength. Please don't be too hard on yourself. You are stretched very thin in your time and attention, without me there to provide an outlet. In my book, you are the best wife and mother in the world. You do things that I could never do. Well, I wish I could write more, but my time is out. I miss you so much! I miss you more than I miss Flaming Hot Cheetos and Snicker's bars. I miss you more than anything. I can't wait to see you soon!
With love always,
Jeremy
PS- You may want to call my Mom. Maybe you can't split the cost of a hotel room/rental car, etc. She is planning on coming to graduation as well. Also, I'm good with buying the van. If you feel good about it, I'm good with it. It's probably better that we are modest in our budget right now. Also, if you can, please try to deposit maybe $50 in my USAA account if you can figure out how to. If not, don't sweat it. Adios mi jita rica!
Hi Sweetheart,
Just playing the wait game right now. I am waiting to use the ATM so I can buy pictures and pay for my pizza party! We get a pizza party the Saturday after Victory Forge. It's a rip off, $10 for a pizza, a brownie and a soda, but we are all desperate for food right now. We have pretty much done all the requirements for graduation. All we have to do now is Victory Forge. that's 5 days and 4 nights in the field. It culminates everything we learned so far at BCT into one field experience. They way it's "our show" and our responsibility to organize and carry out tasks. It'll be fun though. Yesterday we did FIT to Win. It's a obstacle course race where "Super Squads" from each platoon compete against each other. I was on my 10 person supersquad. We won by a long shot. It was pretty fun. Everyone on my super squad did well. Our drill sgts were excited that we won. The drill sgts talk smack to each other about their platoons. So to say the least, it was good that we did not disappoint them. BCT is on the last home stretch. Less than a week, I'll be wearing my beret around instead of the patrol cap. A week and a half and I get to see you. (hopefully you're still coming). 2 weeks till graduation! I can't wait to get out of here. I'll get some of my freedoms back. Hopefully I'll be able to start running more again. I'm still serious about trying to make the World Class Athlete program. I'd like to try to run Newport; training will be rushed though. But later, in October I'd like to run St. George if I can. Well, gotta go to chow, then haircuts. Until later,
:) Jeremy
01FEB2010
Hi beautiful,
Right now we are playing the "hurry up and wait" game on BCT. We took out APFT today. It's the final "blue Phase" test, the one that counts. Apparently I scored the highest in the company again. I might even have the highest in the Battalion. I cored 336 apparently, which means I maxed each area; push-ups 80, sit-ups 94, and 2 mile run 11:15. I'm a little disappointed with the run because I really wanted to run under 11 minutes. The track was so congested though. Weaving in and out of people cost me at least 15-20 seconds. So, overall though, it went really well. Only one other person in the company got 300 or better and she was from my platoon as well.
So, again, it was so awesome to talk to you on the hone. It was so encouraging to hear your voice and be so happy together. It was refreshing to hear a voice of kindness, purity and beauty. I don't get that here. I want to make sure you know how happy I am that you will be coming to graduation. I think it's a wish come true because if we don't see each other now, we probably won't see each other again anytime soon. I don't know what instructions they gave you for buying plane tickets, but you might try to google "Victory Travel" for the Army and book it though there. The tickets are more flexible with reschedule, etc. if need be. Also, looking into base hotel lodging asap. I'm sure the hotels will fill up quickly. I'm not sure what or how much hotel space there is, but look into it asap. Try to buy your plane ticket asap too. and let me know your flight info. Remember, if you have a 2 or 3 hour lay over or longer, you can go to the airports "USO" and rest and eat food (free) etc. You must have your military ID card with you though. You'll need that to get on base too. We only have 18 days and I'm graduated, only 14 or 15 till I get to see you and Hallee. I'm so excited! We leave for Victory Forge in a few days. Tonight we have night fire Infiltration; low crawling under lie fire! Awesome! Tomorrow we have Omaha Boundary Live Fire. That'll be cool too. Well, I hope all is well with you and the children. Please give them my love, hugs and kisses. Tell them that Daddy loves them. I am yours forever.
Your husband,
Jeremy
PS- I've heard that because i have the highest PT score, you will get special VIP type seats at graduation. Will see.
30JAN2010
Aloha Beautiful,
It was so awesome to talk to you on the phone today! Even though we were only given 10 minutes, just hearing your voice made my day! There was so much I wanted to say, but jut talking to you made me freeze. It was almost like when we were dating and my heartbeat would speed up and everything I tried to say would come out not quite right because I was so nervous. I wanted the phone call to be so good that I got nervous. I thought I'd be crying more than I was too. maybe it's because we were only given 10 minutes and I didn't have time to think to be sad. Looking back on it, I'm so glad it was a happy call and not a cry fest. I hope you left it feeling happy. Though I wished we could've talked longer, I was happy. I hung up the phone with more motivation and determination to be the best solider I can be, and the best husband and Father I can be. Though I'm on the other side of the country, training to be a soldier, I have not lost sight of my sacred responsibilities as a husband and father. I take at least a half hour each day to study scriptures and pray that I will keep myself free from the trashy filth that encircles soldiers. I have maintained a clean mouth and pray regularly that I would "let virtue garnish [my] thoughts unceasingly so the doctrine of the priesthood shall distill upon [my] soul as the dews from heaven." (D&C 121:45) Please know that I know with all my heart that being a soldier doesn't excuse me from my family responsibilities. I've thought about how sometimes drill sgts get after privates for not really having a purpose for being at BCT. Some don't even recognize what we are fighting for. I know that I have something worth righting for; my beautiful wife and children represent millions of women and children that deserve the freedoms and American way of life our predecessors fought so hard to preserve. You and the children are what I fight for, and I pray that I will fight the good fight, on the Lord's side and on his errand.
With all my love,
Jeremy
PS- You can send some treats if you want, but they will go to the drill sgts. to eat!
28JAN2010
Hi Sweetpeas,
I'm so excited right now, because we get an hour and half of personal time instead of just an hour. This will five me time to write you more in light, instead of in the dark under a flashlight. How have you been feeling lately? Sleeping more? I'm sorry you don't get much sleep or time to exercise these days. I can imagine that being alone without me there to help is pretty tough. I wish I could be there with you. I would keep Hallee awake for you so you could sleep more at night. I'm relieved that your first day of church with all 3 kids was good. I've been praying hard that would work out. That article with Lucy and Willie's picture in it was cute. our kids are already famous with the Gazette Times. The stuffed mushrooms you made sound so delectably, edibly and scrumptiously good right now! I always love your cooking. I miss it a lot.
Thanks for sending pictures and letters to my parents. I bet they'll get a kick out of them. The family picture you sent me is really cute. Willie's got a really cute smile. Obviously Lucy looks gorgeously cute as always. Even though you aren't looking at the camera, you look so beautiful! That's my red head! I just wanna hold you tight and never let go!
So, in continuation about the chaplain stuff. I would definitely be interested in being a chaplain, but he needs to know that I have to go to OCS and branch into my career area from there. If he knows of a way to off balance that and branch as a chaplain somehow, I would definitely be interested. I've also heard from another soldier here in my bay that I might be able to branch as a social worker into the medical corps. I'm also interested in military intelligence as I wrote in one of my other letters. Infantry is steadily losing my interest. I'm being honest with myself that I don't belong there. I just don't think i would fit in there.
Last I heard, in order for me to be a chaplain, I needed to have a degree in Theology, but I've also heard that a master's degree in a "related" field would satisfy the requirements. As far as my sallie mae account.
So, BCT is almost done. Tomorrow I throw 2 hand grenades. If you get this letter and you haven't heard anything like I've lost a limb or anything, that you can be rest assured that I'm okay. If not, I'm sure you'll be informed. I'm not worried about it. We practiced throwing them and are ready for live grenades now. Monday is our PT test, the last one. The one that counts. I've got to max it! I feel pretty good about my push-ups, really good about my sit-ups and alright about my run. I'm hoping to gut out a sub 11 for it. Not much training so, we'll see. Then on Feb. 6, we leave for our 5 day/4night Victory Forge mission. That'll be cool. We also have Nik at Night on Monday too, which is where we low crawl under barbed wire and live fire. That will be awesome. After Victory Forge, it's just out processing and getting ready for graduation. It's almost over! So, I realized I failed to tell you what I do as a squad leader. I report to the PG anything that needs to be reported about soldiers in my squad. I am accountable for y squad to make sure they are all where they need to be and they have the equipment they should. I also lead them in formation. I'm actually the squad leader who sets the form for the entire company as we march. If I'm out of step or not properly formed, than everyone else will be. So, that's a lot of pressure. I struggle with some marching stuff still. I hope I'll get better. Well, I've got to get ready for hydration formation. That's the last formation before bed. We drink 7 quarts of water at this formation. I love you! I miss you! May choice blessings shine upon you and the children.
Jeremy
27JAN2010
Hi Beautiful,
I have finally gotten back from Victory Hammer. It was a long trip because it was so cold! It felt fabulous to finally shower, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in a warm bed. I've slept in a small tent the last two days; which I've had to get in and out of (while also changing in and out of uniform) to supervise guard duty 2 hours at a time. Last night my shift was from 1-3am. I'm tired! I have a 4-5am shift this morning too! Sweetheart I am overwhelmed with emotion in response to your letters. They couldn't have come at a better time. I've been a little down and out emotionally lately, mostly just frustrated that my platoon won't get there acts together and get things right. This prevents everyone from having privileges such as phone time. Last night I was pretty sad. I didn't expect you write so soon after already getting a letter from you later last week. But I got two letters from you and 1 from my Mom. I was so happy to hear from you. It was truly heaven sent exactly when I needed it. Today was a tough time too and again, I got a letter. When I read your letters last night, I honestly did not feel cold anymore. Thank you so much. Thanks for sending the articles and your words of encouragement. The pictures of the kids in the article was really cute. It's funny you mention the chaplain. I was talking to a Battalion Chaplain and he told me that he thinks they might let me by a chaplain with my current MSW degree. I think being a chaplain would be neat. I'm open to it. I'll get that contact info and call him after I finish BCT. I'm glad church worked out alright for you with the kids and all. I was worried and prayed for you. well, I'm falling alseep. I'll write more tomorrow.
Hugs and kisses,
Jeremy
26JAN2010
Hi Sweets,
I'm currently pulling squad leader duty at 10:15 at night. I have another 45 minutes left of y 2 hour shift. Then I get to go to sleep finally. I'm writing in a dark tent from Victory Hammer. We marched over here this morning and had a few outdoor classes on guarding checkpoints and squad formations while conducting patrols and what not. These were fun classes. The purpose of Victory Hammer is to get us ready for Victory Forge, which is the culminating event leading up to graduation. We finish Victory Hammer on Wed sometime. It's cold at night and in the morning, but its been warming u during the day which has been a great blessing! It was funny because just before we were about to get ready for chow, the drill sgt. let off explosives and started yelling instructions on where to do. It was chaos! Everyone running with their heads cut off. The explosion was awesome! Huge and powerful. It shook the ground and my bones at the same time. Pretty cool. Well, I'd better go and check in on things outside my tent and make sure everything is going alright. I love you!
Haps
1 comment:
I hope you get to spend more than 8 hours with him at Graduation. If I could recommend something it would be to actually go to Ft. Benning, GA instead of his Graduation because he'd have more time to spend with you after they send him down there, then you'll probably get at his actual graduation. Anyway, good luck with everything. :) Let me know if you have any questions.
Post a Comment