I guess this is my first reaction to life with three kids, but don't get ahead of me- that title is meant as a two-part, separate entity kind of thing. I'm not tying pitiful in with postpartum. Pitiful applies to the postal system that delivers my mail to my husband! ;) Get there in a sec. I know, that wasn't the best title. who cares.
I'm not sure if it's been rough or not without hubby here during this new phase of the family. I do have Grandma here. And she's not just any Grandma, but a Mother of the Year, the best mom you could ever have backing you up Grandma. So, in a way I'm feeling kind of spoiled. And recovery has gone so well, thank goodness. No complaints there. The roughest aspect is the transitioning of Lucy and Willie. I'm still understanding where they have holes in their life, and how to help them deal with all the changes. They seem to go through phases of liking and disliking the new baby. Sometimes they're all for her, loving her, helping her, watching me with her, etc. and other times they appear unmistakably hurt by her mere presence. I guess just as rough is my lower threshold for the older kids when they "don't listen!" I find myself saying that (always out of frustration) a lot lately (You're not listening, Why can't you listen; there's a dozen different ways it habitually comes out). If only they knew how much I need them to keep in line with the way things go. Ha, right. I know I'm focusing on the wrong side of the coin. We'll get things figured out though I'm sure.

So I'm going to throw in my allotted once a month free (military discount) "bash the postal system" line here. Why does it take so long to deliver my letters? I have not figured that out. They're just pitiful.
There. I said it.
You want to know something else pitiful? You should have seen Jeremy and I balling at the airport when we took him for this return flight to boot camp. We were kind of a mess. Allbeit a kind of strengthening experience at the same time. Anyway, it left me in fear for his first letter. I was sure he was going to be just miserable. But, fortunately, it wasn't! Here it is:
04 Jan 2010
Dearest Courtney,
I finally have a few minutes to write you before I hit the sack. I've ached for you since our second good-bye though. I think of you often, wishing I could be there for you as you recover from the birth. I want to hold your hand and massage your head until you fall asleep. I miss you terribly! Seems like a strange way to miss someone, but it's true. I feel incomplete without daily contact with you and the kiddos. But I know Heavenly Father will bless us as we endure the trial well. How are the kids? Is Hallee still healthy? Is she still the spit up queen? Any cute smiles or faces yet? Please try to take pictures! What about Lucy and Willie? Do they still love being big brother and sister? Things at basic are actually going pretty well. It hasn't been as a as I thought it would be. Some yelling, but that's to be expected. We haven't had any major smokings yet, so that shows something. I think everyone in our platoon came back, no AWOLS! I'm not sure about our company yet though. Someone asked one of our drill sgts. (who was actually being really cool to us at the time) if we are going to go to white phase, and he said, "We'll see, you might." But he said with a slight grin. It seems, like the drill sgts. are loosening the reigns just a tad. Tomorrow I'm going to fire my M16 with live rounds for the first time. Everyone is very excited about this. I am. It seems like PT is going to be on the back burner, but we'll see. A couple of times of items of business...(edited)...Well, actually I think that's all the business for now. I'm exhausted- gotta sleep. Early morning tomorrow. I love you with all my heart! xoxoxo! Haps
PS- Give the kids a hug and kiss for me!
PPS- I went shooting today. It was awesome! We were cold all day, but it was fun getting behind the weapon finally. I did very well. One of the Drill sgts. said, "Van Tress, you're going to be a very good soldier...is there anything you don't do well?" This meant a lot to me, especially coming from a drill sgt. I love you and miss you and the kids! Keep praying for me, as I always pray for you! Haps (1-4-10)
1 comment:
Things will just continue to get better... you're doing great! :)
Post a Comment