Monday, September 29, 2008

"They Ate It" Recipe

You celebrate when you find a recipe that you don't find yourself picking apart to find a spot that your kid will eat, but the kids will eat the whole thing! And, if it's a great meal for you, what a happy table! Yes, this is that kind of recipe. Given the hefty list of ingredients, I was just so happy when Lucy ate it! Let me share...
Here's why this recipe gets put on my favorites list:
-Hefty ingredients: spinach, bell pepper, garlic, lime (all faves)
-Meaty enough for Dad
-Non-intimidating for kids (looks at first maybe, but quickly overcome by the cheesiness- but it's not too cheesy, I might have put less than it called for. I think it's the sour cream that actually catches the kid's eye.)
-Despite being a casserole, the layered look is fabulous enough to serve to company.
-Stores great!!
-Great as leftovers! It's not the kind of dish that doesn't make it through microwaving, know what I mean? It tastes just as great after microwaving as it did coming out of the oven.
The bad side is:
-Have to bake it (not liking that in Hawaii.)
-Quite a few ingredients, so that might add to the grocery bill and the prep time. I like the variety of ingredients in dishes though.

So here it is; I actually didn't use any olives (don't like them) and I made the mistake of putting the sour cream layer under the second layer of tortillas (instead of on top), I liked it that way, but not sure if it makes a difference. This recipe is from the Corvallis 4th Ward Cookbook, from Lisa Curtis.

PACE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
1.5 lbs lean ground meat
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
2 med. tomatoes, chopped
1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped
1 T. lime juice
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 cups Pace Picante Sauce
2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sliced olives

Arrange 6 tortillas on bottom of lightly greased 9x13" pan (tear tortillas to fit pan). Brown meat and drain, then add onion, garlic, tomato sauce, tomatoes, bell pepper, lime juice, Picante Sauce, salt, and spinach. Simmer for 15 minutes. Put half of the meat mixture over tortillas lining pan. cover with 6 more tortillas. Spread sour cream over tortillas. Top with remaining meat mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and olives. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Way to go Courtney!! I totally understand as a mom of two toddlers what it's like to find a meal that BOTH your kids like as well as add the healthy factor into it. I have not found meals that they BOTH like that are healthy, but can always get atleast one to eat it. Jocelyn will eat lettuce, spinich, broccoli etc (basically veggies and raw too!), and Meili is my fruit eater. So to keep them healthy...a bowl of broccoli or salad works for Jocelyn, and a bowl of blueberries for Meili. All I can say is atleast they both like healthy things....it's the same healthy things I wish they would like...In my dreams right?!