Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This is Your Life

I thought I'd post an explaination as to the side bar coloumn I added called "This is Your Life." When we were growing up, I remember an "occasional" tradition that we did. The kids chose a memory from the past year of our Dad, and drew it out with a little caption telling what the memory was. The pages were complied and put in a book with the title, "This is Your Life", subtitle, "As told by your children." The binder was presented to my Dad every year on Father's Day. I think that was the initial thought of the tradition, though in reality, we really just drew pictures when my mom said it was time to draw a picture, and the gifting was done on Father's day or even on his birthday I think. An effort to involved all the ten kids in giving Dad a more meaningful gift. There may even be more details to the binder that I have forgotten, it's been a little while since I've seen it last.
Well, whether or not this is a treasure to my Dad is something to ask in the eternities, but I remember having oodles of laughter looking back over the drawings as we all grew up and could tease each other about our memories, or the drawings, or even our handwriting... :) Even from the time I got married, I determined to start this tradition with my own family. But guess how many drawings are in Jeremy's book- one. Yes, just one, from when Lucy was born. Wow, one in almost five years! It's not even in color, it's still in pencil. Haha. Well, life's not over yet.
Well, my kids are probably just coming to the age that they could really grasp the idea and contribute to the book, so I'll have to get it going again. But this idea has been my inspiration to be more diligent in journaling altogether. The other side of this is, however far the binder develops, or not, Jeremy still needs to be more informed of the goings on in the family and more specifically with the kids.
So, in short, that is my long explaination to the fact that I needed a place to journal about the kids. Somewhere separate from the blog which I keep more for just interesting, light-hearted, picture-filled accounts of big (and some little) moments. Well, because I'm on the computer way more than I'd like to admit, the blog seemed like really an easy way to also incoporate my other need. Plus, when Jeremy's away in places where he still has internet access, then he can read my entries.
So, what does this mean to you? Nothing more than the knowledge of what the "This is Your Life" coloumn is doing on the side there. And, no, it's not recommended reading. It's written rather poorly, it's boring and will get long. Especially the page for Mommy because that is just an outlet for my venting on life. Writing is good for the soul.
So that's it. any questions? :)

1 comment:

MamaBear said...

Greg doesn't like presents, so I have the kids draw pictures too. The pictures are just starting to get interesting so you're just perfect for getting it going.