Saturday, June 20, 2009

Maui Built. part 3: the Reason

So the whole reason we took the trip to Oregon was the Newport marathon Jeremy signed up for. But I might quickly add a second runner up, would be seeing our old and awesomest friends the Ignacio family! We dragged these guys down from Seattle to visit the with us in a whirlwind afternoon at the Portland zoo. I won't go into how stupid I was... for not thinking to invite them down to stay with us for a couple days...stupid, stupid, so sorry guys. We were sick with colds and the kids had pink eye or something and it just wasn't on my mind to have company. Such a big bummer. But anyway, Thanks for making the trip anyway you guys! It was so fun to see you and your cute kids! So, the real reason we made this big trip to Oregon, besides r&r, was Jeremy had signed up for the Newport Marathon. The bum had ditched out the year before when he had also signed up, so he was determined to do it this time. But unfortuneately he wasn't as determined in keeping up his training. He barely ran a handful of times in the 3 months prior to the marathon. But the trip ended up being the same weekend as our anniversary, so thanks to Grandma!! we had a wonderful (and a little painfully sore, well, Jeremy only) getaway. I had fun chasing the marathon participants around the course in the old, old, beat up (and I mean beat up!!) 1989 pickup truck. Glad I can still have memories in that thing. I would go cheer on marathon participants at any race because, man, it's just a long ways and they deserve it. Jeremy did what he'd probably call awful, but you have to give him props for finishing I guess. He was cold, in pain, and a little defeated. These two videos are backwards- the first video is of the finish, see Jeremy's pained expression, and the nice lady joggin by him to the finish line. I love the announcers commentary too! ;)
This is the start- Jeremy's in red bottoms and a white tank top, look for him towards the end of the video (the first guy you see in red/white is actually probably not him), if you can watch it slow play, you'll see Jeremy totally elbowing this other guy, so pushy! :)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

So all these pics brought back memories! I ran the Newport, Oregon Marathon 5 years ago!! I want to do it again cause it's such a beautiful run! By the way Courtney if I had seen your gift give-away blog I would have commented! I love how creative you are and would have loved recieving a gift from you! You guys really know how to live life to the fullest!