I had an army friend of mine ask me how I was doing with accepting all this stuff called "army life". I told her I was probably at about 50%. Jeremy is still trying to get me to assimilate more into army ways. I think I must still be trying to live like I was in laie Hawaii, with no cares or worries. Army is much more rigid than that.
An example of my carelessness is this scare we had a few weeks back. It was in the first week or so that we moved and life was stressful and crazy, and the poor kids were getting the brunt of everything it seemed. I felt bad for them, and I tried to note small ways that we could help their day seem better- a little less big-kid like. So I thought it was way cute when they got so excited one time we gave thme a "ride" in the car, which means they get to hold on with no seat belts while we drive a short distance. And I mean a short distance. (I'm going to regret saying this aren't I? I'm going to have to explain my actions for years to come.)
Anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal, just 100 yards or less. We've pulled this kind of stunt at Grandma's house, course she had her own road and was not in the city technically. Anyway, Jeremy is dead set against this idea of mine, but I talked him into it one time. I had jumped in the back of the van with Willie and the baby and we were driving along when... ba baa bummmm! The sheriff drove past us! Jeremy turned white and said, Oh crap! We watched the sheriff and sure enough, the car turned around in the drive we just came out of and started heading our way. Jeremy was so upset at me! (I don't blame him.) Then, out of sheer luck, the sheriff turned down another way and we kept going. We were free for that night. Jeremy was repeating 'Never Again' over and over. He was saying how he saw his whole career flash before his eyes. Poor guy. I felt real bad. Needless to say, I've reevaluated my caution and respect to army strict adherence to laws of the land and I've repented. :)
It's amazing how much your "employer" can have ahold of your personal life. There's still many more ways I could be better at being in the army. Army families should have a high standard to show others. And I think that's important, I just got to get in gear I guess. From the wife's point of view- running the forgotten patch to the hubs, stopping in the middle of the street for trump or drill or whatever is going on, random vehicle weapons checks, etc. These little things that make me think, I'm not in the army, but... I am.
Yeah, so 50%, if that. I still don't have our insurance and benefits figured out. And I thought people were helping me learn that and learn what stuff was going to be available to me, the army wife, but after they talked to me- all I've figured out is there is a playgroup (which I haven't made it to yet) and they would love to have me volunteer if I can. (slight chuckle.) Yeah, so no "benefits" as of yet.
4 comments:
Hey Courtney, once you've figured out what your questions about Army life are, let me know and I'll answer them. I've been on both sides of military life and can pretty much answer any question you might have.
A lot of employers are like that and life's adjustments take time- don't worry about it!
I love your honesty! Seriously. It's great to hear someone admit that they aren't perfect and don't have it all figured out. And I seriously laughed at the car-sheriff story. Hilarious. I can totally picture Jeremy freaking out. But I can't picture him ever really being mad at you :)
Oh and I can totally related with feeling like an employer intrudes on personal life. Situations where Brian's job affects what we have to do as a family and how we have to adjust our lives happen frequently.
ps - I bet you like my new daughter's name! :)
I'm with Christina, if you want help figuring stuff out, let me know. I've learned a TON and I'd be more than happy to help you out. You don't have to do it alone, just ask. Have you taken the AFTB classes yet? If not, then you should sign up for the next class they have through ACS. They always have free childcare too as long as your kids are enrolled in CYSS. If not, then find someone to watch your kids and take the classes, you'll learn a TON and things will seem a lot less confusing and frustrating for you.
Post a Comment